In 1721, a small house of worship was built a little west of the present site. It was a timber framed building while their own homes were of bark covered logs. The small group of 16 families grew rapidly and in 1769 the present church was built. It was well finished and equaled or surpassed most of the church edifices of that time. The undertakers of the work were Col. Daniel Reynolds, Joseph Morrison and Matthew Thornton. In 1824 this church building was enlarged to its present size by cutting it down the middle and building between the two halves. Twenty-four feet were added to the center and a lofty steeple. In 1845, the church was remodeled. It was sectioned into two floors. The lower floor housed town offices, the upper floor the sanctuary.